Skip to main content

An Early Solitary Sandpiper


The morning after the excitement of the White-rumped Sandpiper at the SYRE, I had arranged a bird survey at Laguna Blanca – a freshwater lake in the upscale Hope Ranch area of Santa Barbara. The lake is surrounded by a golf course, but it is shut for maintenance every Monday morning and the La Cumbre Country Club has kindly given us access to survey the lake for birds during those periods.

Since water levels were still too high for any extensive mudflats to have formed, my main purpose was to look for breeding records for the on-going California Bird Atlas project. I was joined by Hugh Ranson and we also kept an eye open for dragonflies and damselflies but were disappointed to only see very common species.

There were plenty of (American) Coot and Pied-billed Grebe families in evidence and some well-grown Ruddy Duck ducklings confirmed breeding for that species as well. Otherwise, a summering Bufflehead was really the only bird of note.

Eclipse Male Bufflehead

The edge of the lake had narrow shallow margins that were suitable for some shorebirds, although in the normal course of events, disturbance from the golfers would prevent them staying for long. About two-thirds of the way around the lake, I noticed a somewhat distant shorebird feeding on the lake shore. It was apparent that it was either a Solitary or a Spotted Sandpiper and the jizz looked much better for the former. Getting closer, we quickly confirmed that it was indeed a Solitary Sandpiper and the earliest ever for Santa Barbara County in fall by three days. A nice reward for doing the breeding bird survey.

Solitary Sandpiper

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neotropic Cormorant and a Vexing Booby

Apologies for the long break since my last post, but the second half of July was uninspiring. The first two weeks of August were then very busy as I had 5 days of work, followed by my daughter’s wedding. Bird wise, in late July the only minor highlight was a large concentration of 700 or more Elegant Terns at the Santa Maria River Estuary that attracted a few other tern species. I made a couple of visits there and saw up to four Common Terns, mostly first-summers as well as a few Forster’s and the breeding Least Terns. Unfortunately, a Sooty Tern that graced Arroyo Grande, just a few miles to the north of the SMRE, did not put an appearance in Santa Barbara County. I then found another first-summer Common Tern on the beach at Devereux. A couple of days later, I made another trip to Devereux with Hugh Ranson and Mark Bright. Although we did not see the bird in the field, Mark later noticed an apparently much smaller cormorant in a distant photograph of some Double-cresteds, quite po...

Burton Birds and Butterflies: Dusky Grouse at Last

  I had planned for a four-day stay in Burton, British Columbia, where my brother Stuart lives. I spent the time there socializing and doing some casual birding and butterflying in the immediate vicinity. I had arranged to meet a local birder – Gary Davidson – to drive up some logging roads near Nakusp to look for Dusky Grouse on my last morning. I had done this on my previous two visits and was hoping it would be 'third time lucky'. Gary also suggested that we meet the previous morning at Burton Creek mouth, along the shore of Arrow Lake, a spot that can be productive for shorebirds when the lake level is low. Unfortunately, the lake level rose immediately before I arrived and there was very little shorebird habitat present. The creek mouth had good numbers of Canada Geese and Common Mergansers and small numbers of other ducks, including three Hooded Mergansers, three Pintail and six Green-winged Teal. A Solitary Sandpiper was the main shorebird highlight. Common Loons, Ospr...

SE Spain: May 20

  For many of the birds I was hoping to see, I had planned my itinerary to give myself multiple “bites at the cherry”. However, the distances involved meant that the SE and NE legs had species that could not be seen elsewhere. So the pressure was mounting as I drove from Alcazar de San Juan to Elche, near Alicante. The must-see species at Elche was Western Olivaceous Warbler, but I was also targeting Pallid Swift, which is commoner on the coast than in the interior areas I would be spending most of my time, and Black Wheatear. I have by now submitted all my non-UK and California bird records into ebird. This had revealed that a handful of my sightings from W Europe were incorrect. This included my only Western Olivaceous Warblers from Spain, which transpired to be from an area further north on the coast where they do not occur! I had also seen the species in Morocco, but given the faux pas in Spain, it wasn’t impossible that the Morocco record was incorrect too. Upon arrival at Elc...