Skip to main content

Neotropic Cormorant and a Vexing Booby


Apologies for the long break since my last post, but the second half of July was uninspiring. The first two weeks of August were then very busy as I had 5 days of work, followed by my daughter’s wedding.

Bird wise, in late July the only minor highlight was a large concentration of 700 or more Elegant Terns at the Santa Maria River Estuary that attracted a few other tern species. I made a couple of visits there and saw up to four Common Terns, mostly first-summers as well as a few Forster’s and the breeding Least Terns. Unfortunately, a Sooty Tern that graced Arroyo Grande, just a few miles to the north of the SMRE, did not put an appearance in Santa Barbara County. I then found another first-summer Common Tern on the beach at Devereux.

A couple of days later, I made another trip to Devereux with Hugh Ranson and Mark Bright. Although we did not see the bird in the field, Mark later noticed an apparently much smaller cormorant in a distant photograph of some Double-cresteds, quite possibly a Neotropic. Hugh and I returned the next day but could not find any sign of it and left it at that. Other than that, I began to check Area K in Goleta Slough where the water levels were dropping low and attracting a large concentration of Snowy (up to 120) and Great (up to 45) Egrets along with some shorebirds, although water depth limited the variety of species present.

Starting August 1, I had to make a number of visits up to Lompoc to do my surveys on the wind farm there, giving me an opportunity to check out the Santa Ynez River Estuary regularly. The initial trip yielded a couple of Pacific Golden-plovers in the Black-bellied Plover flock. This species is scarce but annual in the county. The local Least Terns had also brought their young down to the SYRE to fish, allowing nice looks.

The next day, Tina Tan came up from Ventura to bird with me. We walked around NCOS and Devereux Slough all the way to the beach. This turned up my first Lesser Yellowlegs of the fall and as we were scanning the blocked slough mouth from the beach, I noticed a distinctly small cormorant standing along the edge. It was 70% the size of the nearby Double-crested and lacked a well-marked orange or yellow supraloral stripe. The yellow skin at the gape clearly ended in a point, which is another supporting fieldmark, although some Double-crested can also show this. Another visiting birder, Derek Freese, was out on the beach and I asked him to take some photos of the bird and send them to me, to compliment those taken by Tina.

Neotropic Cormorant showing hint of dark lores and yellowish supraloral

Although these photos were much closer than Mark’s original one, they were still a little distant and distorted by heat haze. They clearly showed all the features listed above, but some also seemed to show a hint of darker lores and an indistinct yellow supraloral. Since Neotropic Cormorants will quite often interbreed with Double-cresteds as they spread into new areas, this raised the question of whether this bird might in fact be a hybrid. As one of the local ebird reviewers, it was interesting going through the photos submitted subsequently in the various checklists of the other local birders who went to look at the bird. Some also show the hint of the Double-crested-like loral pattern but all these suffered from suboptimal lighting. The bird was finally found to be perching up in the dead trees close to second parking area along Devereux Slough and Eunice Schroeder finally got really good photos, which showed a typical Neotropic face pattern, as well as the long tail. I also went through many photographs in the Macauley Library on ebird and found several examples of Neotropic Cormorants showing some yellow in the supraloral area. Of course, it is impossible to be sure if this is normal variation or a result of some introgression of Double-crested genes. I did find a photograph of a bird from Costa Rica, too far south for any hybridization to be likely, that was a good match to our bird.

Monday, August 3, found me on a boat trip to one of my favorite birding locations – Santa Barbara Island. For over a decade it has been extremely difficult to visit the island and so when I learned of this opportunity, I decided to get on board, even though the time of year was not conducive to running into migrants out there. I was the only birder so that limited pelagic birding possibilities as the boat didn’t stop or slow down for any birds we saw for the most part.

Nevertheless, on the outbound ride, I saw a pair of Craveri’s Murrelets and dozens of Black and Ashy Storm-petrels. A Leach’s or Townsend’s Storm-petrel was a surprise given that we did not loop out into deeper water. This individual had a fairly limited of white on the rump and was perhaps most likely a Chapman’s Leach’s, although since Townsend’s has both dark-rumped and white-rumped variants, I am not sure how that species can be eliminated.

On arrival at the island, I noted a Wandering Tattler in the landing cove and, once ashore, I hiked up to the North Peak to look for any migrants before looping back south down into the canyons. I was interested to see if I could find any Song Sparrows, which might have returned to breed on the island a couple of years ago as I found at least five back then in a fall trip. There was no sign of any Song Sparrows, but decent numbers of House Finches suggested that this species does in fact breed on the island. I eventually found a migrant – an Ash-throated Flycatcher – but otherwise just a few resident breeding species, the most interesting being a couple of Barn Owls.

Like many other birders, I have a tendency to switch off on the return leg of pelagic trips, unless I am a leader. On this particular trip, I felt that this was actually justified as the direct route from SBI to Ventura is notoriously bad for seabirds. We had already got within several miles east of Anacapa when I was jolted out of my dozy state by the captain calling out an albatross. I dashed outside and quickly picked up a Laysan Albatross. This is the first albatross I had ever seen on the SBI route, one that I have done dozens of times. Black-footed Albatross are regular in the summer just around 25-30 miles west of SBI, but Laysan is decidedly not. However, this species has become markedly more frequent along the California coast in recent decades as it has a rapidly growing colony on Isla Guadalupe, off Baja California. I did give the bird a good look to make sure it wasn’t a vagrant Salvin’s or Chatham Albatross. Although pretty much all the folks on board got out on the deck to look for the bird, a Cocos Booby happened to be flying by and most appeared to end up looking at that.

Masked or Nazca Booby

There were (for a normally dead area) a surprisingly number of shearwaters and even a few storm-petrels around, although I was still too lazy to resist going back into the cabin. Within a couple of minutes, the captain announced a booby was flying by the boat and I looked out the window to see a near-adult Masked or Nazca Booby flying right besides the boat. Unfortunately, it then flipped over to the other side of the boat and with all the other folks getting up to look for it, I was only able to manage one quick but very good binocular view. I have found that it is often difficult accurately determine the bill color of these boobies, which is the key distinction between these two. Classic Masked is supposedly greenish-yellow while textbook Nazca is orange or pinkish. In the real-world off California, the bills seem to be mostly “yellow” with a duller base. So it becomes a case of is it more lemon-yellow or golden or orange-yellow? As ever, everyone (including me) hates putting down a fairly rare bird as Masked/Nazca Booby so there is a tendency to force fit the identification. I was leaning towards Masked on my sight view as the bird certainly lacked obvious orange or pink tones, but unsure as I hadn’t seen much evidence of greenish tones either. I solicited some photos from a couple of folks on the boat to circulate with other experienced seabirders. This failed to elucidate the situation much further as they felt that they could not eliminate a dull Nazca or Masked x Nazca intergrade, although we were all leaning Masked. So a “/” it was. Yuck. Time for these two to be re-lumped, along with the Bean Geese!

Juvenile Semipalmated Sandpiper at the SYRE

The next few days yielded a pick-up in shorebird migration. As Area K continued to drop, shorebird variety increased with two or three Lesser Yellowlegs often around and a juvenile Solitary Sandpiper appearing. The first time, I only heard it calling but two days later got good looks. Peep numbers were also increasing as more exposed mud appeared, so it wasn’t a massive surprise when I found a juvenile Semipalmated Sandpiper there. The first three weeks of August are by far the peak time for this species. A couple of days later, I found a second juvenile on the SYRE, along with a juvenile Red Knot, and then a different juvenile Semipalmated at Area K.

A final minor surprise was a juvenile Yellow-crowned Night-Heron at the SYRE. This species is now quite regular at estuarine locations along the south coast with a recent maximum of 22 seen at Carpinteria Salt Marsh. In contrast, it remains a major rarity along the north coast, with this sighting being only the second record.

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

I would like to thank Tina Tan, Derek Freese, Dennis Houghton and Tyler Hobbs for providing photos for this entry. I am now heading up to visit my half-brother in interior British Columbia – a drive of 1500 miles. I will be birding a fair bit in Washington State on the way up and down, as well the Oregon and NW California coast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Productive Pelagic

  Whenever there is an El Nino, there is a lot of anticipation of rare pelagic species owing to the changes in water temperatures and potential displacement of species far from their normal abodes. In practice, there are a number of species – Least and Black Storm-petrels, Craveri’s Murrelets and Elegant Terns, for example – that do predictably move further north, but we are still waiting for Wedge-tailed Shearwaters to show up more commonly even though they are quite regular in numbers around the southern tip of Baja California. One group of birds that has become much commoner over the last decade is boobies. I was hopeful that the “Super El Nino” would bring in an influx of Masked, Nazca and Red-footed Boobies into Southern California mirroring the effect of the “Blob” a few years ago. Although sea surface temperatures were much warmer than normal in the spring, after that they failed to advance much through the early part of the summer and it was only in August that they sta...

A Big Montane Year Arrives

  Although a few bird species that require coniferous forest are resident in the highest peaks of the San Rafael Mountains in Santa Barbara County, these mountains need special access permissions and require multi-hour drives on poorly maintained dirt roads. As a result, it makes more sense to drive a slightly longer amount of time to the California Sierras or other high mountain ranges in Southern California to see these species and several others that do not breed or winter regularly in the county. In my case, you may have read here that I just had driven a lot further to see many of these species in Washington and British Columbia. However, in some years the failure of cone crops can trigger irruptive behavior in many montane bird species when they can appear in areas far from their normal range. On the morning of September 5, I visited the Hollister Tech Park, which is sometimes a productive site for migrating warblers. I found very few warblers but was surprised to turn up...

My Santa Barbara County Philadelphia Vireo

2026 has been proving to be a productive year for additions to my Santa Barbara county list. Most of the more ‘gettable’ additions are seabirds, assuming I can stomach going on enough pelagic trips. Among the potential passerine vagrants I had yet to see, Philadelphia Vireo stood out as one that I should get sooner or later. However, after 26 years in the county with only one chaseable bird that I had missed, it seemed far from inevitable that I would see one. Ironically, when I first moved to California in 1992, Philadelphia Vireo was the first CBRC rarity that I found – a bird at Andrew Molera State Park on the Big Sur coastline of Monterey County. A few years later, the CBRC removed this species from their review list as it had proven to be a fairly regular vagrant. However, Philadelphia Vireo occurs much more frequently in the (San Francisco) Bay Area than they do along the southern coast of California. During my time in the county, there had been only three records, so about six...