Skip to main content

Vagrants from All Points of the Compass

 

My discovery of the Philadelphia Vireo seemed to mark the tail end of a good pulse of eastern vagrants through the county, although most of these were frequent ones like Tennessee or Blackpoll Warblers. Other than enjoying the continuing flow of Cassin’s Finches, Clark Nutcrackers and Pinyon Jays from the montane bird invasion, the next few days brought little of interest, although I did twitch a Chestnut-sided Warbler – an annual vagrant to the county - at the Hollister Tech Park on Sep 27.

Things started to look up that evening when a return check of the Tech Park turned up a nice male American Redstart – most birds we see are in female or immature plumage. As a change from vagrants from the east, the next morning Sophie Cameron and I found our first Tropical Kingbird of the fall during a survey at Laguna Blanca. This Mexican species is a frequent vagrant during the fall as birds reverse migrate north up the Pacific Coast and typically several birds spend the winter.

Noting that on September 29, the NW winds finally dropped off and a light easterly flow developed along the south coast, I had arranged a visit out to Point Conception, where I was joined by Peter Scheekloth. This was something of a ‘play it by ear’ visit as we were not sure whether we would seawatch or focus on landbird migrants. I was hoping there might be a concentration of Black-vented Shearwaters close-in that I could check for a Manx. Once we arrived at the parking lot above the lighthouse, a few minutes of scanning revealed a complete lack of shearwaters, so we started to check out spots for passerine migrants. The first couple of cypress patches proved largely birdless, so we headed down to a small drainage that a decent growth of willows and some sections of flowing water.

Least Flycatcher

After picking up a couple of common migrants, I heard an Empidonax flycatcher ‘whitting’ away. Although our initial efforts to get a visual failed, Peter eventually found the bird flycatching out in a weedy field on the far side of the drainage and we were able to get excellent looks and photos – very helpful when dealing with this difficult-to-identify group. The regular empid in fall migration in the county with a ‘whit’ note is Willow Flycatcher. However, this bird had a small bill, a distinct eye-ring, a white throat, grayish-olive rather than brownish upperparts and really black wings with strongly contrasting white wingbars and tertial edges. It was a classic Least Flycatcher, which is a pretty good quality vagrant on the mainland of the county, with perhaps just one found every four years. I have had a little more luck with them out on Santa Barbara (especially) and Santa Cruz Islands.

Heading on towards the ranch house area, we followed up on a calling Yellow Warbler and found a couple of flowering bushes were attracting a few warblers and two orioles – a dull female Bullocks and bright Baltimore Oriole. The latter is fairly infrequent during fall migrant, but almost annual wintering on the south coast. After these two good birds, we headed over to check a weedy field that is good for sparrows most years. We almost immediately found a rather dingy plumaged aimophila sparrow that had us considering Cassin’s, which would have been a mega-vagrant. However, after getting better looks, it became clear it was just a young, poorly marked Rufous-crowned Sparrow.

Baltimore Oriole

The next day, I was back at the Tech Park and found two different Chestnut-sided Warblers in close proximity to each other. Although this species is one of the most regular eastern warbler vagrants, it appears this is the first time that two have been present together at the same location.

A couple of days later, on another visit to the Tech Park, I found a Blackpoll Warbler, which initially gave excellent views as it foraged below eye-level for a few minutes. One of my goals is to always find at least one Blackpoll Warbler each fall, but the species, while still frequent, has declined significantly since my arrival in California in the early 1990s, and my streak was broken about three years ago. A nice bonus when I returned home was a vocalizing Tropical Kingbird on the power lines behind my backyard.

Bobolink

Vagrants from the south or east are easy enough to find, but finding one from the west (e.g. Asia) is much harder, as only Ruff and Red-throated Pipits show up with any regularity, and it has been over a decade since the last big Red-throated Pipit year. Sunday, October 4, saw me head up to the north coast. I began by checking some agricultural fields for Bobolinks and eventually found two which showed so well that even I managed a couple of half-decent photos. While looking for the Bobolinks, I got a call from Dave Compton, the county recorder, that a Dusky Warbler, an east Asian phylloscopus warbler, had been found in Goleta. Since I had seen this species almost two decades prior in the county, I told him that I was going to stick with my plan to do my bird survey work and then head further north to the Santa Maria River estuary.

However, when I drove up to the wind farm, I discovered I had left all my datasheets at home, which rendered it impractical to my work. At that point, I decided just to head back to Goleta and look for the warbler. There was a small crowd of birders when I arrived, and the bird was being seen intermittently low-down in a row of tamarisks. Figuring the bird might prefer feeding on the sunny side of the row, I crossed over and quickly had several good close-range views of four to five seconds each.

Dusky Warbler

After that, I drove out to the Coal Oil Point area and lugged my scope and tripod over to check the Dune Pond for a Stilt Sandpiper that had been photographed there the previous day. This species is notorious for being a one-day wonder in its visits to Santa Barbara County, so it was hardly surprising I failed to find it. Some compensation came in the form of a Bank Swallow.

Monday saw me back at Laguna Blanca, where I was joined by Sophie Cameron. We were happy to finally see some mud appearing and hopefully next week will see a few more shorebirds present. We had to make do with a few White-headed Ibis and Wilson’s Snipe. The lake has good habitat for Least Bitterns, but I had not heard any there during my visits there this year. Sophie had almost certainly heard one call a couple of weeks previously, but we were unable to get any response to playback.

Shortly after starting our survey, we both heard a Least Bittern call. This time, we were determined to try playback for a longer period and patiently wait. For a few minutes, nothing happened but I then picked up a female Least Bittern moving stealthily through the edge of the tules about 50 m away. We were occasionally able to track her progress by seeing movements in the tules stems and eventually she popped up right in front of us. Shortly afterwards a male arrived and showed even better. It was striking that neither bird called at all, although we did hear a call from a third bird about 100m away.

Least Bittern

Least Bittern is a species I rarely saw for my first 3 decades in the USA. They can be easy in places like Anahuac in Texas, but they are often elusive at locations where they are present. I saw one when I first moved to Santa Barbara in 2000, but then went 17 years before my next one, as it seems the species ceased to occur in the county during the long drought starting in 2011. These birds were the fifth time I have seen the species in county and my best views ever. Even now, I have seen this species less than ten times in my life.

The photos in this post were generously provided by Sophie Cameron, Hugh Ranson and Peter Schneekloth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Productive Pelagic

  Whenever there is an El Nino, there is a lot of anticipation of rare pelagic species owing to the changes in water temperatures and potential displacement of species far from their normal abodes. In practice, there are a number of species – Least and Black Storm-petrels, Craveri’s Murrelets and Elegant Terns, for example – that do predictably move further north, but we are still waiting for Wedge-tailed Shearwaters to show up more commonly even though they are quite regular in numbers around the southern tip of Baja California. One group of birds that has become much commoner over the last decade is boobies. I was hopeful that the “Super El Nino” would bring in an influx of Masked, Nazca and Red-footed Boobies into Southern California mirroring the effect of the “Blob” a few years ago. Although sea surface temperatures were much warmer than normal in the spring, after that they failed to advance much through the early part of the summer and it was only in August that they sta...

A Big Montane Year Arrives

  Although a few bird species that require coniferous forest are resident in the highest peaks of the San Rafael Mountains in Santa Barbara County, these mountains need special access permissions and require multi-hour drives on poorly maintained dirt roads. As a result, it makes more sense to drive a slightly longer amount of time to the California Sierras or other high mountain ranges in Southern California to see these species and several others that do not breed or winter regularly in the county. In my case, you may have read here that I just had driven a lot further to see many of these species in Washington and British Columbia. However, in some years the failure of cone crops can trigger irruptive behavior in many montane bird species when they can appear in areas far from their normal range. On the morning of September 5, I visited the Hollister Tech Park, which is sometimes a productive site for migrating warblers. I found very few warblers but was surprised to turn up...

My Santa Barbara County Philadelphia Vireo

2026 has been proving to be a productive year for additions to my Santa Barbara county list. Most of the more ‘gettable’ additions are seabirds, assuming I can stomach going on enough pelagic trips. Among the potential passerine vagrants I had yet to see, Philadelphia Vireo stood out as one that I should get sooner or later. However, after 26 years in the county with only one chaseable bird that I had missed, it seemed far from inevitable that I would see one. Ironically, when I first moved to California in 1992, Philadelphia Vireo was the first CBRC rarity that I found – a bird at Andrew Molera State Park on the Big Sur coastline of Monterey County. A few years later, the CBRC removed this species from their review list as it had proven to be a fairly regular vagrant. However, Philadelphia Vireo occurs much more frequently in the (San Francisco) Bay Area than they do along the southern coast of California. During my time in the county, there had been only three records, so about six...