Skip to main content

Butterflies of the Bristol Downs and Avon Gorge : Mid-June

 

"The Downs" are a large public recreational area in Bristol along the east lip of the Avon Gorge, consisting of open grassland with some woodland and scrub patches. I frequently spent time here as a schoolboy, looking at birds and butterflies, and it is just a few minutes' walk from my aunt's flat where I have been staying.

The Avon Gorge is a National Nature Reserve on account of several endemic plant forms and the limestone flora has a few butterflies of interest. During the 1970s, I found both White-letter and Purple Hairstreaks and subsequent to my departure in the late 1980s, Silver-washed Fritillaries have colonized. 

At least a decade ago, a heard of goats were introduced into the Gully, a valley that cuts through the edge of the gorge to the River Avon below. The purpose of this was to open up the area and keep the vegetation appropriate for various butterfly species. An information sign at the time indicated that Brown Argus, Small and Chalkhill Blues all occurred. I was able able to find Brown Argus that first time, but have never seen the last two, despite visits at an appropriate time of the year. I suspect they are no longer present.

This year my arrival in early June, after a very warm and dry spring, likely meant that all the spring broods of butterflies had come and gone. In addition, I have mostly been experiencing classic British summer weather - cool, windy and overcast with occasional showers. This has greatly limited any chance to look for butterflies.


Marbled White

One species that was common in my school days that I hadn't seen in recent visits was the Marbled White. Since the flight period of this species had typically been July-August and coincided with at least two recent visits, I was concerned it might have been locally extirpated. I was hoping with warming trend in the UK, it might have been emerging earlier. Based on this visit, that appears to be case, as I have seen quite a few Marbled Whites on my visits to the Gully area. This species is actually a brown, not a white. I have seen just a single real white, a Small White.


Speckled Wood

The next commonest butterfly has been Speckled Wood. The British race is distinctive from that on the continent, which I had just seen in Spain and has orange rather than whitish "speckles". I have seen no blues, hairstreaks or fritllaries, although many of these fly later in the year. The only nymphalid has been a Red Admiral.

Not surprisingly, given there is a fair amount of rough grassland, the Downs have good populations of browns. This is still early in the season for this family, but several Meadow Browns were already flying and I found at least one (Common) Ringlet.


Ringlet

Once I return from our swing through the North of England and Scotland, I am hoping for good weather and the emergence of some later fliers and second broods.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Productive Pelagic

  Whenever there is an El Nino, there is a lot of anticipation of rare pelagic species owing to the changes in water temperatures and potential displacement of species far from their normal abodes. In practice, there are a number of species – Least and Black Storm-petrels, Craveri’s Murrelets and Elegant Terns, for example – that do predictably move further north, but we are still waiting for Wedge-tailed Shearwaters to show up more commonly even though they are quite regular in numbers around the southern tip of Baja California. One group of birds that has become much commoner over the last decade is boobies. I was hopeful that the “Super El Nino” would bring in an influx of Masked, Nazca and Red-footed Boobies into Southern California mirroring the effect of the “Blob” a few years ago. Although sea surface temperatures were much warmer than normal in the spring, after that they failed to advance much through the early part of the summer and it was only in August that they sta...

A Big Montane Year Arrives

  Although a few bird species that require coniferous forest are resident in the highest peaks of the San Rafael Mountains in Santa Barbara County, these mountains need special access permissions and require multi-hour drives on poorly maintained dirt roads. As a result, it makes more sense to drive a slightly longer amount of time to the California Sierras or other high mountain ranges in Southern California to see these species and several others that do not breed or winter regularly in the county. In my case, you may have read here that I just had driven a lot further to see many of these species in Washington and British Columbia. However, in some years the failure of cone crops can trigger irruptive behavior in many montane bird species when they can appear in areas far from their normal range. On the morning of September 5, I visited the Hollister Tech Park, which is sometimes a productive site for migrating warblers. I found very few warblers but was surprised to turn up...

Return to the 49th State

  Over 30 years ago, I made my first visit to Alaska. Several more followed over the next few years and culminated in me publishing the state’s first bird-finding guide. I eventually sold 3000 copies before passing the rights on to the American Birding Association as the basis for a new guide. Since the mid-90s, I have only visited the state once, with my family in 2008. That trip was memorable for the wrong reasons as my young son and daughter spent the long drives to Denali and the Seward Peninsula constantly fighting and bickering in the back of the car. Fortunately, they grew out of this after that. A return visit was always in my plans because of my goal to see again the great majority of western USA and European bird species. Two of my old UK birding friends, Paul Thompson and Andy Silcocks, were keen to join as they had never been to the Arctic or the Bering Sea area. After a fair amount of planning and booking, we arranged to meet up in Anchorage on May 30 and from there ...