Skip to main content

The Lake District: June 23 - 24

 

Grasmere

After two days around Edinburgh, we headed down to Windermere in the Lake District for a couple of days, prior to heading back to Bristol. Although most time was spent on family sightseeing and enjoying the beautiful scenery, I got up early both mornings to look for the classic trio of the UK's western oak woodlands: (European) Pied Flycatcher, (Common) Redstart and Wood Warbler.

All three of these species occur within an hour or so's drive from Bristol, where my relatives reside, so had not been a major focus for the swing up north. However, as I hadn't see a couple of them for over 20 years, it made sense to look for them rather than wait for the next UK trip at a suitable time of year. In particular, I was growing concerned about the relentless decline in Wood Warbler numbers and distribution. I used to see and hear this species regularly as a teenager birding in Leigh Woods, just a couple of miles walk from the my home. However within a decade, the species was gone from there. It is now virtually gone from the New Forest and the Forest of Dean. The decline has now spread into the more upland oak woods of the valleys of Dartmoor, Exmoor and the Quantock Hills, where very few birds are now left. Interestingly, and hopefully, the population in the Quantocks seems to have partially relocated to mixed conifer and beech woods there and can perhaps hang on.

The accelerating trill of the Wood Warbler is the classic song of western oak woods and one of my favorites. I was hoping to hear it sing, but realized that the lateness of the season was against me, especially as the breeding season and arrival of summer migrants in the UK does appear to have shifted a week or two earlier in recent years. A sharp contrast to southern California, where we just had a record late migration season, with many species two or three weeks late in passing through!

The first morning I visited a location called High Dam, near the SW corner of Lake Windermere. Despite reasonable weather conditions, there was a deathly absence of bird song other than wrens. A bout of 'pishing' brought in a few tits and nuthatches and I had a nice look at a (Eurasian) Treecreeper. Finally, after reaching the small lake. I heard the distinctive 'diu' notes of a Wood Warbler and was able to get very good looks. Wood Warblers are subtly beautiful birds with silky white underparts, except for the lemon-washed throat, and quite bright green upperparts.

However, the bird did not sing and I found no trace of a Pied Flycatcher or a Redstart, Fortunately, later in the day, while my wife and I were hiking between Grasmere and Rydal Water, I did hear a Wood Warbler sing a few times. I also had very nice looks at the closely related Willow Warbler, which I only seen briefly a couple of times on the trip, despite hearing a lot.

The next morning, I headed over to Sawry Wood, where there had been double-digit counts of Pied Flycatchers and Redstarts several weeks earlier. The weather was worse with persistent rain and there was no sight or sound of either species in the hour I spent there. I did hear another Wood Warbler calling. My experience with Pied Flycatchers is that do become very difficult see once the young have left the next, but I was hoping to connect with a Redstart. Anyway, something to look forward too on a future trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Productive Pelagic

  Whenever there is an El Nino, there is a lot of anticipation of rare pelagic species owing to the changes in water temperatures and potential displacement of species far from their normal abodes. In practice, there are a number of species – Least and Black Storm-petrels, Craveri’s Murrelets and Elegant Terns, for example – that do predictably move further north, but we are still waiting for Wedge-tailed Shearwaters to show up more commonly even though they are quite regular in numbers around the southern tip of Baja California. One group of birds that has become much commoner over the last decade is boobies. I was hopeful that the “Super El Nino” would bring in an influx of Masked, Nazca and Red-footed Boobies into Southern California mirroring the effect of the “Blob” a few years ago. Although sea surface temperatures were much warmer than normal in the spring, after that they failed to advance much through the early part of the summer and it was only in August that they sta...

A Big Montane Year Arrives

  Although a few bird species that require coniferous forest are resident in the highest peaks of the San Rafael Mountains in Santa Barbara County, these mountains need special access permissions and require multi-hour drives on poorly maintained dirt roads. As a result, it makes more sense to drive a slightly longer amount of time to the California Sierras or other high mountain ranges in Southern California to see these species and several others that do not breed or winter regularly in the county. In my case, you may have read here that I just had driven a lot further to see many of these species in Washington and British Columbia. However, in some years the failure of cone crops can trigger irruptive behavior in many montane bird species when they can appear in areas far from their normal range. On the morning of September 5, I visited the Hollister Tech Park, which is sometimes a productive site for migrating warblers. I found very few warblers but was surprised to turn up...

Return to the 49th State

  Over 30 years ago, I made my first visit to Alaska. Several more followed over the next few years and culminated in me publishing the state’s first bird-finding guide. I eventually sold 3000 copies before passing the rights on to the American Birding Association as the basis for a new guide. Since the mid-90s, I have only visited the state once, with my family in 2008. That trip was memorable for the wrong reasons as my young son and daughter spent the long drives to Denali and the Seward Peninsula constantly fighting and bickering in the back of the car. Fortunately, they grew out of this after that. A return visit was always in my plans because of my goal to see again the great majority of western USA and European bird species. Two of my old UK birding friends, Paul Thompson and Andy Silcocks, were keen to join as they had never been to the Arctic or the Bering Sea area. After a fair amount of planning and booking, we arranged to meet up in Anchorage on May 30 and from there ...