Skip to main content

More Butterflies of the Avon Gorge and Bristol Downs

 


After returning to Bristol, I have been spending some time looking at butterflies again on the Downs and in the Avon Gorge. After doing a little on-line sleuthing, I confirmed that Chalkhill Blue was still occurring in the Gully area, but Small Blue was no longer regular. In addition, I noticed that Essex Skipper now occurred. This is a species that has been expanding its range in the UK since I departed.

Despite a lot of heatwave hype, a fair amount of cloud cover remained over Bristol keeping the temperature several degrees lower than the forecasts. However, temperatures were warm enough for butterflies to be somewhat active even when cloudy, with naturally more showing during sunny intervals.

My hopes that a greater variety of butterflies would have emerged during the ten days I was 'up north' were met. Gatekeepers has clearly just emerged and became commoner each day I looked. Of the other 'browns', Meadow Browns were commoner, Ringlets at least as common, but Marbled Whites less common than in mid-June. This seemed to confirm that, this year at least, Marbled White is flying earlier than 45 years ago.

The morning of June 28, I decided to check out a nice flowery meadow along the bottom of the Avon Gorge I had discovered a couple of weeks earlier. My goal here was to find skippers, and I was particularly hoping to find Essex Skipper. As the day warmed and the sun began to occasionally peak through the clouds, butterflies started to appear in good numbers. The predominant species were Meadow Brown, Ringlet and Green-veined White. I managed a rare photo of a Ringlet with open wings. 

Ringlet

Eventually, I came across a skipper that was obviously Small or Essex. Closer examination showed it to be a Small, as it lacked the dark tips to the underside of the antennae.

Small Skipper

Further searching for skippers in the meadow turned up an additional Small Skipper as well as a couple of unidentified ones. While looking for skippers, I also saw a Marbled White or two and came across a smart Small Copper.

Small Copper

After leaving the meadow, I spent some time checking flowering plants, especially buddleias, along the bottom of the gorge as I worked my way to the base of the Gully. This proved productive for nymphalids as I found ones and twos of Peacock, Red Admiral, Comma and Small Tortoiseshell. The last species was formerly very common but collapsed shortly after I left the UK. My experience around the Downs and the Gorge now is that it is possibly the least common of these four species whereas in my youth it outnumbered Peacocks five to one and Red Admirals and Commas ten to one.

Large Skipper

In addition to the nymphalids, I also found a Large Skipper and both Small and Large Whites.  Heading up the Gully, I failed to find any Silver-washed Fritillaries and a scramble up the scree slope where the Chalkhill Blues were supposed to occur similarly drew a blank, although this species probably won't be emerging until mid July. Checking the bramble patches along the woodland edges at the head of the Gully did prove more productive with several Commas and Gatekeepers, a Silver-washed Fritillary and fly by blues that were likely Holly based on behavior. I had a couple of hairstreaks flying around a combination of oaks and Wych Elm branches, which are hosts the two hairstreak species I used to see here back in the 1970s - Purple and White-letter.

Holly Blue

Three days later, I returned to this area to make a more determined effort to find and photograph the blues, Silver-washed Fritillary and any hairstreaks. After some persistence, I was able to get a shot off at a Holly Blue that landed to nectar on a flower. The fritillary offered only a brief fly-by and I was presumably too early for the main emergence, as I have seen them easily later in the summer. Persistence with hairstreaks paid off as I was able to see at least three individuals clearly associated with oaks. Eventually, a hairstreak came down to perch on a bramble stem and I was able see it was certainly a Purple. Unfortunately, it didn't hang around long enough for me to get a photo.

Comma


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Productive Pelagic

  Whenever there is an El Nino, there is a lot of anticipation of rare pelagic species owing to the changes in water temperatures and potential displacement of species far from their normal abodes. In practice, there are a number of species – Least and Black Storm-petrels, Craveri’s Murrelets and Elegant Terns, for example – that do predictably move further north, but we are still waiting for Wedge-tailed Shearwaters to show up more commonly even though they are quite regular in numbers around the southern tip of Baja California. One group of birds that has become much commoner over the last decade is boobies. I was hopeful that the “Super El Nino” would bring in an influx of Masked, Nazca and Red-footed Boobies into Southern California mirroring the effect of the “Blob” a few years ago. Although sea surface temperatures were much warmer than normal in the spring, after that they failed to advance much through the early part of the summer and it was only in August that they sta...

A Big Montane Year Arrives

  Although a few bird species that require coniferous forest are resident in the highest peaks of the San Rafael Mountains in Santa Barbara County, these mountains need special access permissions and require multi-hour drives on poorly maintained dirt roads. As a result, it makes more sense to drive a slightly longer amount of time to the California Sierras or other high mountain ranges in Southern California to see these species and several others that do not breed or winter regularly in the county. In my case, you may have read here that I just had driven a lot further to see many of these species in Washington and British Columbia. However, in some years the failure of cone crops can trigger irruptive behavior in many montane bird species when they can appear in areas far from their normal range. On the morning of September 5, I visited the Hollister Tech Park, which is sometimes a productive site for migrating warblers. I found very few warblers but was surprised to turn up...

Return to the 49th State

  Over 30 years ago, I made my first visit to Alaska. Several more followed over the next few years and culminated in me publishing the state’s first bird-finding guide. I eventually sold 3000 copies before passing the rights on to the American Birding Association as the basis for a new guide. Since the mid-90s, I have only visited the state once, with my family in 2008. That trip was memorable for the wrong reasons as my young son and daughter spent the long drives to Denali and the Seward Peninsula constantly fighting and bickering in the back of the car. Fortunately, they grew out of this after that. A return visit was always in my plans because of my goal to see again the great majority of western USA and European bird species. Two of my old UK birding friends, Paul Thompson and Andy Silcocks, were keen to join as they had never been to the Arctic or the Bering Sea area. After a fair amount of planning and booking, we arranged to meet up in Anchorage on May 30 and from there ...