Skip to main content

Guerrero, Mexico: Playa Linda

 We took our first visit to Ixtapa back in 2002 and soon discovered that it was our favorite location for family vacations in Mexico. The proximity of good thorn forest close to the hotels made it very easy for me to pop out for some productive birding early in the morning while the rest of family slept in.

After visiting the area a few times, I became aware of local Christmas Bird Count centered around Laguna de Potosi, south of the airport. I had told the organizer, Laurel Patrick, that I would like to attend the count one year, but it had proved difficult to line up. Finally, this year I booked a trip that enabled me to attend. Remy decided to pass on an Ixtapa trip this winter, so I was able to bird at full-throttle, something of a mixed blessing in the hot and humid tropics!

One of the best areas near Ixtapa is Playa Linda. Here a bike track runs between a thorn forest-covered hill and mangrove and freshwater marshes on the other side. There are also mountain bike trails that allow access up the slope into the thorn forest. Although I had birded this area a few times, I had never had time to really do it justice given the number of birds and quality of habitat. This trip I allowed for four full mornings. The first two of these I was accompanied by Will Mertz, a local nature photographer who lives in Trocones, a surfing resort and excellent birding area a little north of Ixtapa. Will has kindly allowed reuse of some of this photos in this post.

On a previous winter trip, I had had great luck with attracting warblers and other small birds by playing scolding calls and pygmy-owl toots, resulting in finding several eastern vagrants. This was something that we focused on during the first two days with pretty spectacular results. Generally, every time we played a mobbing tape, a cloud of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers would appear, along with Yellow and Nashville Warblers, American Redstarts, Tropical Parulas, Bell’s Vireos and both Doubleday’s (Turquoise-crowned) and Cinnamon Hummingbirds. It was then a case of sorting through all of these for additional birds.

Yellow-throated Vireo

We had a great start at the first stop where both a Yellow-throated Vireo and a Prothonotary Warbler showed up. I had seen both these previously here, but Will was able to get photos. This was especially valuable for the vireo, for which photographic verification was lacking for all the previous half-a-dozen state records. We also found two or three each of Magnolia Warbler and Ovenbird, both of which are regular but uncommon winterers. Other migrants that joined the mobbing crowds included Plumbeous and (presumed) Western Warbling Vireos, Wilson’s and Macgillvray’s Warblers, Common Yellowthroat, Western Flycatcher, Swainson’s Thrush, Summer Tanager and Yellow-breasted Chat. After parting ways with Will, I was able to add Tennessee and Chestnut-sided Warblers and Northern Parula to the vagrant list.

Prothonotary Warbler

In addition to the migrants, many other resident species would come in as well. Dusky-capped and Brown-crested Flycatchers and all three of the local wrens, Russet-naped, Happy and White-bellied made regular showings, along with the occasional Greenish Eleania, Blue and Orange-breasted Buntings, Golden-cheeked Woodpecker, Rufous-backed Thrush, and Yellow-winged Cacique. Even Citolene Trogons sometimes popped in, although we saw most of these at fruiting trees. The owls themselves tend to be somewhat shy at this time of year and we just heard singles of Ferruginous and Colima Pygmy-Owls. In spring, the owls are much more aggressive and easily seen.

On day three, I focused more on finding some of the more difficult thorn-forest residents and was rewarded with excellent looks at two different male Red-breasted Chats and a Flammulated Flycatcher.

The mega highlight of the visits occurred on the first day. Will took me along some small footpaths off the bike track to where we could view a larger portion of the freshwater marsh. I was hoping to see a Limpkin, which has eluded me on previous visits. Limpkins and Snail Kite have colonized the Pacific coast of Mexico in the last couple of decades, presumably as a result of Apple Snails becoming established there. Initially we saw just a couple of the kites and some rather distant herons and ibis, along with the mandatory Black-bellied Whistling Ducks. We then found a couple of fairly showy Soras, which gave Will an opportunity to get much better photos than he had previously. While Will was concentrating on the rails, I saw a large chestnut-brown raptor fly across in front of us – a Black-collared Hawk! There been very few records in recent decades of this species for the Pacific Coast of Mexico north of Chiapas, so this was really significant. Unfortunately, Will’s camera could not get a focus lock on the flying bird before it disappeared. Figuring that it had not gone too far, we worked a couple of hundred yards to our right via some other tracks and relocated it perched up in a tree. This time Will was able to get some very solid record shots. I also finally got a good look at a fly-by Limpkin. As some ‘icing on the cake’, we heard a Lesser Ground Cuckoo calling as we made our way back to the bicycle track. A little bit of playback brought this stunning bird for some stupendous views. This is a bird I have only seen a handful of times.

Black-collared Hawk

On the third day, I returned to this location to find the hawk still present. Most of the other species were still present along with at least three Purple Gallinules. While looking at these, I heard the rail-like ‘kek-kek-kek’ call of a Least Bittern, a species I had heard but never actually seen in Mexico. An on-and-off spell of playback resulted in occasional calls that clearly showed a bird was moving much closer. However, I could see no visual signs of the birds. Fortunately, it transpired that two birds had come to investigate the playback, and when they met, one chased the other bird off, which proceeded to land in full view for 20 seconds or so.

On the fourth morning, I eschewed the bike path and walked north along the road parallel to the Playa Linda beach. My specific focus was to check the palm groves here for Yellow-throated Warbler and Hooded Oriole, both of which often have a preference of palms. I had claimed records of Hooded Oriole during my first visits to Ixtapa, but as it had become apparent that they were decidedly uncommon, I retrospectively deleted them. I had subsequently seen them on the interior slope of the mountains in the state but was curious how frequent they might be on the coast. I failed to find any on this attempt.

After over two hours of effort, I finally coaxed a Yellow-throated Warbler into the trees above me. So they are certainly present but rather uncommon, even in extensive palm groves. While looking for the warbler, I ran into various other birds including great looks at Yellow-breasted Chats, multiple Streak-backed and Orchard Orioles, Russet-naped Wrens and a side-by-side comparison of female Orange-breasted and Painted Buntings.

Common Loon

Around 11 AM, I decided to grab an early lunch at one of the beachside restaurants. While waiting for my food to arrive, I idly scanned the sea to add some boobies to the trip list. I was shocked to see a Common Loon (or Great Northern Diver for UK readers) floating offshore. As luck would have it, I remembered I had brought my camera and was able to fire off a few poor-quality record shots. A great ending to the Ixtapa birding section of the trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Productive Pelagic

  Whenever there is an El Nino, there is a lot of anticipation of rare pelagic species owing to the changes in water temperatures and potential displacement of species far from their normal abodes. In practice, there are a number of species – Least and Black Storm-petrels, Craveri’s Murrelets and Elegant Terns, for example – that do predictably move further north, but we are still waiting for Wedge-tailed Shearwaters to show up more commonly even though they are quite regular in numbers around the southern tip of Baja California. One group of birds that has become much commoner over the last decade is boobies. I was hopeful that the “Super El Nino” would bring in an influx of Masked, Nazca and Red-footed Boobies into Southern California mirroring the effect of the “Blob” a few years ago. Although sea surface temperatures were much warmer than normal in the spring, after that they failed to advance much through the early part of the summer and it was only in August that they sta...

A Big Montane Year Arrives

  Although a few bird species that require coniferous forest are resident in the highest peaks of the San Rafael Mountains in Santa Barbara County, these mountains need special access permissions and require multi-hour drives on poorly maintained dirt roads. As a result, it makes more sense to drive a slightly longer amount of time to the California Sierras or other high mountain ranges in Southern California to see these species and several others that do not breed or winter regularly in the county. In my case, you may have read here that I just had driven a lot further to see many of these species in Washington and British Columbia. However, in some years the failure of cone crops can trigger irruptive behavior in many montane bird species when they can appear in areas far from their normal range. On the morning of September 5, I visited the Hollister Tech Park, which is sometimes a productive site for migrating warblers. I found very few warblers but was surprised to turn up...

Return to the 49th State

  Over 30 years ago, I made my first visit to Alaska. Several more followed over the next few years and culminated in me publishing the state’s first bird-finding guide. I eventually sold 3000 copies before passing the rights on to the American Birding Association as the basis for a new guide. Since the mid-90s, I have only visited the state once, with my family in 2008. That trip was memorable for the wrong reasons as my young son and daughter spent the long drives to Denali and the Seward Peninsula constantly fighting and bickering in the back of the car. Fortunately, they grew out of this after that. A return visit was always in my plans because of my goal to see again the great majority of western USA and European bird species. Two of my old UK birding friends, Paul Thompson and Andy Silcocks, were keen to join as they had never been to the Arctic or the Bering Sea area. After a fair amount of planning and booking, we arranged to meet up in Anchorage on May 30 and from there ...