After waking up at dawn, I tidied up my sleeping gear in my
car and headed over to Sun Mountain Lodge near Winthrop. This location has
acquired a reputation as the go-to spot for Dusky Grouse in Washington. While
the pressure was off since I had just finally seen one in BC, it would still be
a ‘Washington bird’ for me and only the second time I had seen the species.
Arriving at the parking lot, it was immediately apparent
that the hotel grounds and immediate vicinity were very birdy, with numerous
Pine Siskins, Cassin’s Finches, Mountain Chickadees and Red-breasted Nuthatches
evident. I was surprised and skeptical to see what looked like a female Purple
Finch in with the Cassin’s but eventually had at least two birds and heard
their characteristic ‘pik’ flight calls. Multiple flyover sightings of Red
Crossbills and Evening Grosbeaks rounded a nice set of montane finches.
The hilltop position and irrigated green lawns and lush tree
foliage likely made the location a minor migrant trap and after finding Warbling
Vireo, Yellow, Wilson’s, and Yellow-rumped Warblers, I saw a relatively bright
empid that I suspected might be a Hammond’s, which molt into fresh plumage
prior to migration unlike other western empids. The bird declined to give decent
looks and decided to try some playback. I opted first to try Dusky Flycatcher
and immediately a bird flew in give much better views, although it was not the
empid I had just been watching, being much duller in plumage tones. Although it
did not call, I was able to note the short primary projection, long tail and
longish bill with a dark outer half to confirm a Dusky. It lacked the more
washed-out grayish appearance of a Gray Flycatcher. A burst of mobbing playback
brought the other empid back out and I could confirm it was indeed a Hammond’s.
Singles of Olive-sided Flycatcher and Western Wood Pewee completed the
flycatcher list.
The grounds were also good for sparrows with Vesper and
Brewer’s in the sagebrush and Chipping and Lincoln’s in the lawn area. Heading
over to the far side of the grounds where they drop towards a slope with
scattered conifers, I was entertained by a group of eight flycatching Lewis’s
Woodpeckers. This species is one of my favorite birds. It was originally called
Lewis’s Crow and when you see one flying around, you will know why.
Heading towards the hot tub area, I saw a grouse jump up on to the top of the surrounding fence. A very confiding Dusky Grouse. Some low hooting drew my attention to a second individual feeding on the flower bed around the hot tub. I had seen this vocal behavior in BC and suspected that this was an adult female and her one surviving young.
After a productive start to the day, I embarked on a two-to-three-hour
drive to reach some good areas for montane woodpeckers. I abandoned my first
planned stop for White-headed Woodpecker due to smoke from a forest fire. This
proved a wise choice as the smoke cleared not much further to the south and I
then checked out a burn area near Cle Elum. There was not much activity in the
afternoon heat, and nothing was responding to playback. Reverting to the
time-honored technique of listening for tapping sounds, I eventually began to
tot up Hairy Woodpeckers and, after finding four of these, some more tapping
led me to a nice male Black-backed Woodpecker.
I decided to spend the balance of daylight in my hotel room
and woke up the next day to drive up to Wenas Camp. There were plenty of birds
around, with Cassin’s Finches and Red-breasted Nuthatches everywhere. I had at
least eight Western Bluebirds to complement the Mountain Bluebirds I had seen
on the drive in. White-breasted and Pygmy Nuthatches completed the nuthatch
set, while I had no less than three Cassin’s Vireos, all singing. Eventually I
came to grips with the target bird – a pair of White-headed Woodpeckers, which
give pretty good looks.
I ended choosing a marginal spot for my next target
woodpecker – Williamson’s Sapsucker – and missed it. However, I should have no
problem catching up with this cracking bird on a return trip to eastern
Washington.
I then drove along 12 all the way to the coast at Ocean
Shores on the N side of Grays Harbor. I used the late afternoon to bird the
famed Game Range, only to find it bone dry with no shorebirds at all. I found a
side road to crash in the car for the night with a plan to bird the beach areas
along the coast north of Grays Harbor, which have produced shorebird rarities
in recent years.
The initial beaches proved underwhelming but things improved
when I hit Roosevelt Beach. There were over a hundred birds here, including two
Baird’s Sandpipers. Copala Beach, where I only had time to cover 30% of the
area, looked even more promising and I had a couple more Baird’s. I had to head
on to catch the tide at Bowerman Basin, an area I had never properly birded
before. I did catch the rising tide right and there was a massive concentration
of Western Sandpipers – I guesstimated about 9000 – along with small numbers of
Least Sandpipers and Semipalmated Plovers. The low diversity was disappointing,
but I can see this location having good potential for a Red-necked Stint in
late June/July. The nearby Hoquiam Sewage Ponds had a Ruff but it was hanging
out on vegetated bank and my arrival to look for the bird coincided with a
nasty rain squall. After failing to find the bird in a couple of minutes of
looking, I decided to move to make sure I still had high tide conditions at
Tokeland on the north side of Willapa Bay. I arrived there to find a large
concentration of roosting birds at the marina, consisting of 1500 Marbled
Godwits, 160 Greater Yellowlegs and a couple of dozen dowitchers of both
species. I quickly found a Bar-tailed Godwit in the Marbled flock, which is a
normal occurrence here. However, further detailed scanning produced no more
Bar-taileds and no Willets, which often occur here as well.
After an enjoyable hour or so at Tokeland and with the tide
clearly dropping, I drove further round to Bay Center on the east shore of
Willapa Bay, where both Bar-tailed and Hudsonian Godwits had been reported the
previous day. Although the birds here tend to be quite distant, the numbers are
very high. I ran into another birder there, but neither of us could pull out
the Hudsonian Godwit. There were three Bar-tailed Godwits in with a few hundred
Marbleds, 22 Long-billed Curlews, two Willets and 38 Red Knots. I did not
attempt to count the numbers of Black-bellied Plovers, dowitchers and peeps.
Although large shorebirds species such as godwits, Willets and curlews are
unremarkable along the California coast, they are largely absent in Oregon and
Washington and Willapa Bay is by far the best place to see them regularly and
more than just odd birds.
Despite the misses on the Ruff and the Hudsonian Godwit,
which I had found myself during earlier visits to the state, I had had an
enjoyable afternoon and drove on to Ilwaco to stay in my hotel. The next day I
was going to do a massive hike starting along the ocean side of Leadbetter
Point, one of my favorite birding spots, and going out towards the tip before
coming down the bay side of the spit to catch the shorebirds flocks coming in
to feed on the dropping tide. This is a 10-12 mile with some stretches of mud
and soft sand. Normally I do a shorter, but still grueling, hike just up the
bay side of the spit.
The extended hike proved to be a major mistake as there were
no shorebirds at all roosting on the ocean side of the spit, just small numbers
of gulls and pelicans. I started to get seriously worried I would arrive after
the tide had dropped too much but saved some time by cutting across the extreme
tip of the point and force-marching myself through some soft sandy bays. These
bays at least held some birds including 11 Baird’s Sandpipers and I arrived at
the main area of mudflats with about 10 minutes to spare before they began to
expose.
The initial arrivals were Western and Least Sandpipers, but
the main interest is typically when the large numbers of Black-bellied Plovers
and (formerly) Short-billed Dowitchers arrive. These flocks, as usual,
contained Red Knots (22), three Ruddy and one Black Turnstone and a surprise
Surfbird. I counted over 500 Black-bellied Plovers but Short-billed Dowitcher,
which 35 years ago would have been present in hundreds, barely reached 20
birds.
The low saltmarsh vegetation is a good area to search for
golden plovers and vagrant Buff-breasted Sandpipers. A thorough search failed
to turn anything up although I eventually found a Pacific Golden-Plover feeding
on the mudflats with some Black-bellieds, while a couple of Long-billed Curlews
were unusual for Leadbetter. There were no godwits present and they are only
erratic visitors to the point.
After dealing with the soft mud on the creek crossings as I
staggered back to the parking area, I swore never to do the hike out via the
outer point again with the caveat that I might repeat it if there were to be a
good Snowy Owl winter. I reached the car totally exhausted and drank a lot of
water and downed a couple of small packs of salt to prevent any cramping
attacks. A two-hour drive got me to my hotel in Garibaldi in Tillamook County
in Oregon. I jumped in the shower to get off all the sand and mud before
flopping down onto the bed for a well-deserved rest.
The next day, I made a latish start and drove the length of
the Oregon coast, enjoying the great scenery, especially from Cape Perpetua
southwards. I stopped for a late lunch in Bandon. I drove out to the south
jetty hoping to find a nice variety of rockpipers in the high tide roos, but
there was not a single one there. This formerly great site has been rendered
largely birdless by government environmental edicts that prevent dairies from
discharging their effluent directly into the Coquille River upstream. As a
result, the rich foodchain enabled by all the cow slurry disappeared, along
with the shorebirds. I was hoping that the rockpipers might have avoided the
declines of the mudflat species, but evidently not.
Crossing the border into Del Norte County, I began to head
out towards Lake Tolowa, an often exceptional shorebird site, although water
levels are not so good this fall as of yet. However, it became apparent that it
was one of those days with very high NNW winds, which can happen along the
northern California and southern Oregon coasts. Since I had already arranged to
catch up with some friends in the (San Francisco) Bay Area the following
afternoon, it wasn’t practical to overnight at Lake Tolowa and bird it the next
day as the limited decent habitat required a moderate hike. Combined with the
long drive, I wouldn’t get to the Bay Area at a reasonable time. So I pushed on
down to Humboldt County and slept in the car next to the Ocean Ranch unit on
the Eel River delta. Back in the early 90s, this was an area of freshwater
impoundments that could be very good for migrant shorebirds. In subsequent
years, they have kept the water levels higher through the fall and it hasn’t
been suitable for shorebirds.
Waking up in the morning, I hiked out on the trail hoping to
find perhaps a little exposed mud. What I found was that the area had been
reopened to tidal influence and was now just another set of tidal creeks. These
held the expected common shorebirds but nothing of interest. After exploring
for an hour here, I headed further south to the Russ Ranch Wetlands near
Ferndale. This has had a number of great birds in the past, although recent
reports were not that promising.
Walking out to the wetlands, there was a little suitable
habitat for birds in some sections that were mostly dried out but I just saw
Least and Western Sandpipers, Semipalmated Plovers and five Red-necked
Phalaropes. After a few minutes, I heard an unfamiliar series of ‘weet’ and
‘weet-weet’ notes that were not from any of the regular west coast shorebirds.
I picked up a bird in flight that was roughly the size of a large calidrid. My
initial guess was that bird was going to be Buff-breasted Sandpiper – based on
the date, bird’s size and unfamiliar call – proved wrong as once I got the
binoculars on the bird, it was clearly generally similar to a Pectoral.
Fortunately, it landed about 70 yards away and I quickly got the scope on it.
I confirmed it was a ‘Pectoral-like’ bird and it was
immediately apparent that the bird was not in fresh juvenile plumage, with no
sign of pale braces or crisp covert edges. It lacked the solid dark breastband
of a Pectoral although there were some darker wash/markings on the sides of the
breast. It also showed an obvious pale supercilium, which is typically not
present on adult Pectorals. Given the odd call, I was already actively
considering an adult Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and a couple more suggestive features
were a rufous wash on the forecrown and some dark spots with pointed rear edges
on the sides of the lower breast. The legs were a dull olive, which is good for
a Sharp-tailed as well as Pectorals often, but not always, have yellower legs.
Unfortunately, after viewing the bird for about 15 seconds, all the shorebirds
flushed off and flew far out to see. A few did eventually return but were
immediately chased off by a Peregrine. After an hour I had to leave with no
sign of the birds returning. I texted local birder Rob Fowler that I had a very
probable adult Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and wrote it up in ebird with an
intention to look into more once I had internet access for my computer.
In subsequent investigation, it became clear that the bird
was in largely basic-like plumage, whereas the August adult photos I viewed
seemed to show birds still with extensive alternate plumage. I came to the
conclusion that the bird was most likely a first-summer bird that had acquired
a few chevron markings on its breast sides but not much else of alternate
plumage. Annoyingly, I had failed to note whether the bird had a prominent pale
eye-ring or not and I felt I should have probably noticed this feature anyway.
Given the relatively brief looks and the fact I couldn’t match up the bird with
close equivalent photo in Macauley (although I only looked at few dozen), I
decided to downgrade it to a calidris sp. There is always the possibility it
was some kind of weird hybrid. Very frustrating, but that is birding for you
sometimes.
Comments
Post a Comment