Skip to main content

A Showy Sprague’s Pipit

 


Since my last post, there has been a distinct pick-up in fall migration – both in quality and quantity.  The montane invasion has picked up in species diversity with more Pinyon Jays, Mountain Chickadees and some Evening Grosbeaks and Cassin’s Finches. I have only managed to hear a couple more flocks of Pinyon Jays and a single grosbeak but will be making more efforts for both those species over the coming weeks.

Following a couple of reports of the commoner vagrant warblers, I started to check out some of the local warbler hotspots. I followed up finding a Northern Parula at Evergreen Open Space, which is quite near my home, with an American Redstart in one of the tipu-covered parking lots in east Goleta. The next morning, I hit up Winchester One park followed by the Hollister Tech Park. Winchester One was quite birdy and I had my first Tennessee and Nashville warblers of the season. I followed this up with another Tennessee at the Tech Park and a Lucy’s Warbler, along with the regular returning Black-and-white Warbler. All three of these are pretty regular rarities there but a little more quality came in the form of a Yellow-green Vireo. This was the third year in a row I have found one in the county and, coupled with several I have found in Baja the last two falls, I am get rather blasé about this species. Birders chasing the vireo then found a Prairie Warbler, which is not annual in the county. Fingers crossed that the Tech Park is back to what it was like three years ago.

On Sunday, I decided to do some of my survey work at the wind farm above Lompoc and then take the opportunity to bird other areas on the north coast. The SYRE had a few Avocets and 11 White-faced Ibis, but I spent more time scanning the ocean as there was a constant stream of Black-vented Shearwaters. The hoped-for Manx Shearwater failed to show, but I did see seven Parasitic Jaegers.

After that, a check of some agricultural fields turned up five Bobolinks, maintaining my record of finding at least one every year I have lived in the county. There was also the regular large flock of American Goldfinches in the fields, a species that is now decidedly local and uncommon on the south coast where I live. While birding the fields, my phone rang and my fellow ex-Brit, Hugh Ranson, delivered the sensational news that a Sprague’s Pipit had been found at Elings Park in Santa Barbara.

Since I had already seen this species in county about 20 years ago on Santa Barbara Island, I decided to stick with my work and birding plans on the north coast and try to get it late in the day. My survey work proved pretty fruitless as the weather up at the wind farm was more cloudy, foggy and windy than forecast.

After finishing the surveys, I then headed up the Santa Maria River Estuary (SMRE), stopping off in Guadalupe for a chile verde burrito. The snowy plover restrictions were finally gone so I could explore the SMRE better than usual. There were a lot of birds present, but little of note with a couple of Common Terns, a White-faced Ibis and three Red Knots being the highlights for most of my visit. Fortunately, towards the end of my stay, I turned up a juvenile Black Tern, a species that is slightly less than annual in the county. Finishing up, I got in the car for the hour-plus drive down to Santa Barbara.

I saw Sprague’s Pipit very well the first time I looked for the species back in 1989 in Arizona. Subsequently, I have seen the species another five times but have not had really killer views. Since this bird was showing well, I was anxious to see it. Arriving around 5:30 PM, I ran into a couple of other birders who were looking for it. A Vesper Sparrow caused a temporary panic before another birder located the pipit. I then watched for about half an hour as it gave increasingly brilliant views, as can be seen by Hugh’s fantastic shots below. A great end to the day.

Sprague's Pipit



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Productive Pelagic

  Whenever there is an El Nino, there is a lot of anticipation of rare pelagic species owing to the changes in water temperatures and potential displacement of species far from their normal abodes. In practice, there are a number of species – Least and Black Storm-petrels, Craveri’s Murrelets and Elegant Terns, for example – that do predictably move further north, but we are still waiting for Wedge-tailed Shearwaters to show up more commonly even though they are quite regular in numbers around the southern tip of Baja California. One group of birds that has become much commoner over the last decade is boobies. I was hopeful that the “Super El Nino” would bring in an influx of Masked, Nazca and Red-footed Boobies into Southern California mirroring the effect of the “Blob” a few years ago. Although sea surface temperatures were much warmer than normal in the spring, after that they failed to advance much through the early part of the summer and it was only in August that they sta...

A Big Montane Year Arrives

  Although a few bird species that require coniferous forest are resident in the highest peaks of the San Rafael Mountains in Santa Barbara County, these mountains need special access permissions and require multi-hour drives on poorly maintained dirt roads. As a result, it makes more sense to drive a slightly longer amount of time to the California Sierras or other high mountain ranges in Southern California to see these species and several others that do not breed or winter regularly in the county. In my case, you may have read here that I just had driven a lot further to see many of these species in Washington and British Columbia. However, in some years the failure of cone crops can trigger irruptive behavior in many montane bird species when they can appear in areas far from their normal range. On the morning of September 5, I visited the Hollister Tech Park, which is sometimes a productive site for migrating warblers. I found very few warblers but was surprised to turn up...

Burton Birds and Butterflies: Dusky Grouse at Last

  I had planned for a four-day stay in Burton, British Columbia, where my brother Stuart lives. I spent the time there socializing and doing some casual birding and butterflying in the immediate vicinity. I had arranged to meet a local birder – Gary Davidson – to drive up some logging roads near Nakusp to look for Dusky Grouse on my last morning. I had done this on my previous two visits and was hoping it would be 'third time lucky'. Gary also suggested that we meet the previous morning at Burton Creek mouth, along the shore of Arrow Lake, a spot that can be productive for shorebirds when the lake level is low. Unfortunately, the lake level rose immediately before I arrived and there was very little shorebird habitat present. The creek mouth had good numbers of Canada Geese and Common Mergansers and small numbers of other ducks, including three Hooded Mergansers, three Pintail and six Green-winged Teal. A Solitary Sandpiper was the main shorebird highlight. Common Loons, Ospr...